Friday, July 06, 2007

I have been doing stuff - honest !

Yes I know it's been a while. But that doesn't mean I haven't been busy. The real focus now is to complete panel by panel any repairs needed, whilst also ensuring I have cut any holes I need before the paint is laid down.

In addition to that I want to get the car drivable before it gets painted - don't want much do I !?
Most of the chassis is finished but it just needs connecting together ! The steering is a good example of this. The column had been shortened, custom support bars welded up, a new steering damper and box fitted to the axle, and a VW Beetle 1303 universal joint welded onto the shortened column. However, this had never been permanently fitted together.
Well as you can see from the photo below it is now, and boy does it make it easier moving the car in and out of the garage! I wish I had done it sooner. I am really pleeased with how solid it feels, it just shows it is wortth spending time on these areas.

So, having already test fitted the bonnet hinges and locks, and the engine lid the rear louvres were next. This involved sourcing the right style hinges for the top end (as unobtrusive as possible) and bonnet retaining pins for the bottom end. As you can see I got there, with Sarah's help it has to be said - she spotted a crack through the louvres which could have caused them to split in two if not supported correctly, and also stopped me drilling in the wrong place ! Now the louvres can be added to the finished pile.

Look -

Nena is starting to come together,

More soon, Jim