Sunday, February 04, 2007

Body on, its go go go !

Progress !


At last, the drive is free because the body is where it belongs - on the chassis.
A lack of drive space combined with a dislike of the cold meant that I had to get the body mounted up.
I hope to really start getting the bodywork prepped for paint now. There isn't much damage, but the previous owner really liked his pop rivets !
Most of the chassis work is completed now, and I cannot fix the pedals and hydraulics (clutch and twin circuit brakes) until the body is in place, as the pedal box is a hanging version - bulkhead mounted.
The chassis has been painted liberally in smoothrite, though I know it will get knocked and marked during the build, so I will repaint nearer the end.
Mounting the shell up didn't take too long - about 3 hours for two people - cheers Dad.
Of course stainless bolts and washers were used. The VW chassis washers were painted with clear lacquer, and nylock nuts held them in place.
A new mounting gasket was sourced from VW heritage and to save it slipping around while we mounted up I had prefitted it the day before with some black rubber sealant.
The body lined up really well with the mounting holes - which was a good sign, and overall seems pretty well sealed. The only area where some work is needed is the rear corners and over the gear linkage coupling.
The rear body lip covers the original cover plate so for now I have removed this and will make a new cover to fit.
Now I aim to dummy up the dash and seats to help decide where to move the gearstick and handbrake to - then the welding can be completed.
That will be a good feeling, as everything is then under my control.
One positive is that Nigel, my friendly local welder has left his gear in the garage - so he can pop back anytime to complete it !
More pictures soon - enjoy the sunshine , Jim

No comments: